Thursday, June 17, 2010

Beautiful Library


Christina from Write-Brained mentioned in a recent post about her desire to have a library to showcase her books.

My dream was to have a Disney’s Beauty and the Beast library.

The library in that Disney classic was two stories with shelves and shelves of books and a ladder that slid the perimeter of the room so you could get to those classics on the upper shelves.

I don’t have a ladder, but I do have a library designed by me and built by my talented husband.

To clarify, I found a picture of a library I wanted and my husband did the rest.

The end result is a library that covers the entire wall of our living room with shelves and shelves of my favourite books, knick-knacks and picture frames, and cupboards that hold scrapbooking and craft materials, my son’s toys, cookbooks, vases and gadgets.

There are three beautiful glass shelves and pot lighting to accent some of my favourite things – Classic Pooh book ends that are keeping my Lucy Maud Montgomery books together; my Lisa collectable doll, figurines and tins; flowers from the party after our Caribbean wedding.

Originally, some of the shelves held my Disney VHS collection and other DVDs. But when we moved the TV downstairs, it made sense the movies should follow.

I also wanted to bring out and display my journals.

So my husband moved a few shelves and I recently reorganized the library’s contents. I now find myself sitting on the couch and staring at I my beautiful library, my wonderful books, my good-looking family and my precious ‘stuff.’




7 comments:

Mz-Cellaneous said...

I love it!! I have a vaulted ceiling like that too, and didn't know how a book case would look if i went all the way to the ceiling at an angle. Now I know it would look awesome! Can't wait to get it done now!

(We've had the lower base cabinets for 6 months! what a job!)

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I don't think I'd ever seen a picture of the finished shelves. I love it! I keep telling you, you need to come down here for a visit so I can borrow your husband... does he build kitchen cabinets too? Just joking. But you still should come visit!

Cheers :-)
- Rainforest Mommy

Christina Lee said...

sniffle--*SO JEALOUS* It looks FANTASTIC!!!!

Angeline Schnare said...

Very nice!
My little brother has those bookends. He loves them.
Make sure to move (hide) anything precious before the little guy starts to walk/grab/destroy items. We've lost too many special items.
Looks good!

Angelia Sims said...

Beautiful!!! I always wanted my own library wall too. This is GREAT!

Amy DM said...

I read that post from Christina and I think I had to wipe the drool off my computer keyboard.

I love your library!! Books are wonderful wonderful wonderful!

Rachel said...

Oh, I'm so jealous. I've always wanted a huge library with a ladder, too! What is it about those things? This is beautiful.