Saturday, May 23, 2009

Cellphone Laments


Everyone laughs at me.

For years, I have enjoyed short spurts of work - a text saying “Pls pick up milk” or “I will be home soon” or phone calls discussing the day’s happenings.

About two weeks ago, my world changed.

I started working harder than I have my entire existence. Not only was I making more calls (while listening to loud music and teenaged laughter), but the texting became fast and furious, with one after the other coming both into and out of me.

I was then pulled out at a rugby game and the real laughter started.

“Is that your cellphone?” a boy asked.
“No,” was the short reply. “It’s my stepmom’s. Pathetic isn’t it?”

Then the group of people started to laugh at me and make comments about a donation to a museum.

I may not flip open or have a slide-out keyboard. I may not be able to surf the Internet or take pictures or play music, but I am able to have conversations and send text messages such as “I love you” and “I miss you” just as well as those fancy new phones.

So there.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hahahahahaaaa !
ok this one is my favourite yet.. although, i had to read it 3 times to figure out that it wasthe cell phone talking and not you. LOL
I was like "ait a minute.. you went to a rugby game without me?! ... then it clicked."

but i never said it was pathetic!

Alexx said...

ok.. that wasn't supposed to be anonymous, i just forgot to type my name. oops. but I think you can figure out who wrote that.. :)