Saturday, May 9, 2009

Welcome Back





It must be spring.

I heard a familiar bird song last weekend. I thought it was the music of the Baltimore oriole, which usually makes an appearance around this time of year, but couldn’t be sure as even its bright orange plumage couldn’t be seen at a distance.
While going for a walk with my son on Friday, I listened again. An experienced birder or someone with a good ear for music could probably pick the oriole’s melody out immediately, but I always get it confused with the robin.
Listening closely, I thought my colourful companions must be back.
When I got home, I washed my hummingbird and oriole feeders and hung them on the shepherd’s hook outside our windows.
The hummingbird came first, followed closely by both the male and female Baltimore orioles.
For the sake of honesty, these pictures weren’t taken this year. But I would guess that if the birds in these pictures aren’t the same creatures, they are certainly their relations.
Welcome back.
Welcome back spring.

2 comments:

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I like the pictures of the birds. Very cool!

RenoGrrl said...

Hey, lovin' this blog. Really enjoying what you have to say.
Happy Mother's Day!