Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Welcome back, wonderful strawberries

The signs are up - strawberries are red, juicy and ready.

Oh, strawberries, how I love you. Well we appreciate you, California strawberries, particularly in the deep of winter, you just can't compare to an Ontario-grown strawberry - different sizes, juicy dripping down your fingers and never knowing if this one will be super sweet or unfortunately sour.

This year, our garden strawberries are producing more than last year, although not enough to keep us all fed with the red goodness, and my guy always wins when deciding who gets the freshly picked one.

But I vow I will be going to a field this week and either picking my own or having some picked for me.

Welcome back, strawberries. I am so happy to see you.

PS - Sorry for the lack of pictures. I ate the three strawberries on my counter before I thought to snap one.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mmmm, I love this time of year! I'm so excited to go strawberry picking, but I'm not sure they're quite ready yet in our area. I'll have to look that up!

Kim said...

I've given up on my strawberry plants this year. They've given me fits, and I think I just need to start all over with a different spot in the yard and new plants.