Friday, October 1, 2010

I Can’t Speak for Rob Ford, But I am Offended

Municipal elections are in full swing in Ontario.

The mayor of Toronto race is heating up with a candidate no one thought had a chance becoming the frontrunner.

Rob Ford is a longtime councillor who is hoping to bring his say-it-like-it-is, penny-pinching ways to the mayor's office, and Torontonians have embraced it.

Last night at an all-candidates debate, a man stood up, introduced himself as a doctor and told Ford he was looking at him as a patient. He said because Ford is so big, the doctor was worried Ford wasn’t healthy enough for the job.

Ford, surprisingly, answered the man’s question by saying he knew he had to loose some weight but he has always been a big guy and his doctor had given him a clean bill of health.

Ford also said he was offended by the question.

I am disgusted. What gives anyone the right to question someone’s weight? What business is it of anyone other than Ford? And how dare someone get up in a public forum and ask Ford that sort of question.

I guess this is another reason why I couldn’t be in the public’s eye. I would have told the doctor to piss off.

Poem in Remembrance

A few of my friends and a fellow blogger recently had to put down their cherished pets.
My aunt sent me this poem when we put down Sylvester, a year ago in August. I thought it was lovely.

They are gone
From your sight…
But never our memory,
Gone from our hearing…
But never from our hearts,
Gone from our touch…
But their presence is felt,
And the love that they gave us
Never departs.

7 comments:

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Wow! The nerve of some people! Good for Rob Ford for standing up for himself!

Thanks for the poem. It's lovely!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i used to live in toronto and it always made more sense to me to have thanksgiving in early october when the actual harvests had just occurred. The end of november is seriously late for harvest. if you make the pie let me know what you think of it!

Anonymous said...

I am offended, too! How rude!

Small Burst said...

I would have been offended too. That question was definitely inappropriate and the size of the person has no relevance to the performance of their job.

Have a great weekend!

Anonymous said...

Really?? Weight? Well I guess that shows we do feel free to speak up in Canada. Sounded like Ford handled it gracefully.

Betty said...

I agree, the comment about Ford's weight was not appropriate. But, on the other hand, even though I like Ford very much and, I hope he wins and becomes the Mayor and cleans up the "gravy train" he is, over weight and has admitted that he does eat at fast food places. He really should take care of his health.

I hate fast food "joints" and I would close ALL of them down. We have enough fat people including our children in Canada and it plays havoc on our healthcare system.

Just my opinion. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Unknown said...

Yikes. This is going to be an ugly, ugly election season. Thanks for stopping by via SITS last week. My SITS Day was great!