Thursday, August 19, 2010

What I Learned While On Vacation



While I was on vacation, I realized:
• I can be a stay-at-home mom.
Sometimes I wonder if that is what I really want or if I am one of those people who only want what she can’t have. But after staying home for two weeks, one week just hanging out and the second camping, I realize I could do this full time.

• One never tires of swinging.
I think my son and I were on the swing for at least a hour several times a day. My guy likes to go high – by himself (on a regular swing) or with mommy or daddy. We went to several parks my first week off and the swings were always his favourite part.

• Exploring the world.
While camping, my mom told me to just let my guy explore the world. She said it’s amazing to let kids go off ‘by themselves’, to see what they do when they don’t think we are watching.
Mom, of course, was right.
I can see why kids disappear. My guy headed straight for the forest behind the trailer and picked up sticks, gathered leaves and went further and further away.
He also left several times, giant bag in hand, to go for a car ride. In that case, he would say ‘bye’, blow kisses, come back for real kisses and hugs and head toward the car, or sit in the grass and play.
It was amazing.
There isn’t as much opportunity to let him head off by himself where we live, however, he did go exploring at neighbour’s property this week.

• Time flies when you are having fun.
My mom also said a vacation wouldn’t be as fun if you were off all the time.
I have to disagree. When I was off for a year’s maternity leave, I still enjoyed last’s year camping vacation.

On a different note, I heard on the radio today the head of Google was saying in the future he could see today’s teens having to change their names because they revealed way too much on facebook and other social media sites.
It’s an interesting point and one everyone – not just teens – should keep in mind.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I am so glad you had a great time. It would be fun to explore the woods at any age.

Kay said...

Camping really does have the be one of the best vacations ever. I remember my parents especially loving it because it left us so tired at the end of the day ;)

Glad you had such a good time!

Green Monkey said...

I'm locked in on the Google comment...

what appeals to me as a blogger is how openly we post (some of us). my mother worries I expose too much but this is my choice. today, I'm showing my need for spanx and my messy house :)

love camping! getting ready to camp in the desert for a week. extreme conditions, high winds, dust storms, GOOD TIMES :)

glad you had a wonderful vacation. thank you for sharing!

Christina Lee said...

Sounds lovely. Oh and the swinging-YES!! Love it too!

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

You need to bring E down here for a visit. Then he and Matthew can go exploring together. Yesterdays big adventure here was watching the bulldozer fixing a house site for Patrick and family.

I'm glad you had a good time!

Cheers :-)
- Rainforest Mommy

Anna said...

That looks like fun! Interesting thought about names and social media.

I came your way through a comment you left on another blog. :)

Saretta said...

Sounds like you enjoyed your vacation!

As for facebook...YEAH! Those kids have no idea how much they are revealing and how public a forum facebook really is. Kinda scarey!

Mrs.Mayhem said...

Sure sounds as though your son loved camping as much as you did!

I was just worrying this morning about how much to reveal on a blog. How protected are we bloggers? It is a scary thought...

Sara Chapman in Seattle, USA said...

I'm happy that you enjoy spending time with your son. He must be a very good tempered little guy. Lucky you. I hope you get your stay at home wish.

Tina L. Hook said...

What a sweet post. I agree, vacations are fantastic no matter what your work schedule.

Thank you for stopping by my blog.