Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Harry Potter, here I come ....


My stepdaughter saw the new Harry Potter movie. She said it was dreadful.

It doesn’t matter. I am still going to see it. My husband and I are going on a date Saturday and that is the movie I choose. My husband was actually quite excited we were going to the movies, a first since our son was born, but was disappointed when he heard what we are actually going to see.

But since he chose Meet the Spartans for his birthday movie several years ago, he has been banned from getting full rein in the movie-choosing department.

As far as Harry Potter is concerned, my stepdaughter said the important part that was at the end of the book (no not THAT important part) wasn’t in the movie.

I am not overly concerned.

I don’t go to Harry Potter movies because the books are great, I go because I enjoy the movies. I am not often disappointed because I go in with the thought that the movie is a completely different entity than the book.

If you go in with that attitude, you have no expectations and the movies are good in their own right.

In my opinion there has only ever been two book-turned-movies that were better than the original: Misery by Stephen King and starring Kathy Bates and James Caan, and Interview with the Vampire by Anne Rice and starring Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise.

I remember someone once said they were disappointed that Interview with the Vampire was so different from the book. The response was of course the movie was different, otherwise it would have been 13 hours long. It was an incredibly long and boring book. Watch the movie.

No comments: