Friday, January 27, 2012

If I Were Part of the One Per Cent


The Occupy movement, which is against economic and social inequality, tried to enter the high-security venue of the World Economic Forum today.

I wish I was part of the one per cent of the world’s richest people.

If I were, I would:

• Pay someone to clean my house.
• Hire a personal shopper to help me with the dreadful task of clothes shopping.
• Hire someone to do my ironing and make sure my clothes match before heading out the door.
• Go on a vacation when I felt the need to escape winter or just because I felt like getting away.
• Become a stay-at-home mom.
• Buy a hobby farm with acreage.
• Trap-spay-neuter cats to decrease the feral cat population. Please people, fix your pets.
• Volunteer, likely with animals or children.

On a serious note, there are all sorts of rich people just like there are all sorts of middle-class people.

Often you hear the super rich helping out during a crisis and long after the crisis has slipped the mind of every day people. Many of the super rich use their names to encourage people to donate time or money to a cause.

I think most of the one per cent look beyond themselves and help others. I am sure there are a few of the one per cent who only look out for only themselves. But then I am also sure more of the 99 per cent do the same.

6 comments:

Nicole said...

I agree with you - 100%!

Lady Mama said...

True. I think there are lots of wealthy people who use their money in a positive way. And like you I do wish I was in that 1% as well. :)

Julie M. said...

It would be fun to not have to worry about money. I especially love the idea of a hobby farm. I hope you don't mind if I join you. :) I enjoyed your read; I think you really summed it up well.

Betty said...

I agree with you 100% too.

You said it all.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I agree.

I so wish I could get someone to clean my house for me.

Stephanie KD said...

I would not like to be in that 1%, too rich for my blood. I instead would like just to have enough money to live comfortably. To have enough money not to have to worry. I like some of you would like to have enough money to pay someone else to clean my home and to be able to donate to chairities without debating if I can really afford it this month. Money is wonderful but it does not bring happieness - there are many rich people who are extremely unhappy and I can't help think that part of it is that they have too much money.

It is nice to dream though, of a yearly vacation to somewhere new :)