Friday, June 24, 2011

This Blog Posting Changed Three Times Today (And Still Changing)



I was originally going to blog about a certain towel but I forgot to take a picture so it so changed direction.

As I sat by the computer, starring blankly at the screen, I decided to tell you about the book I am reading – The Host by Stephenie Meyer.

As I haven’t finished reading the book, and I really don’t know much about it, I logged onto Meyer’s official website to see if I could find some information to share.

Instead I was dragged into Meyer’s world and didn’t resurface for some time.
Let’s just say, wow. You could spend hours reading that site; there is so much information and so many extras.

While I wouldn’t consider myself an author, I do think of myself as a writer. As a writer, I am in awe of authors and the skill and dedication they have. And Stephenie Meyer is no exception.

What impresses me most about authors is the act of writing. I paid attention in English. I have written my share of stories. I even attempted to get one published. But I never understood – or could do – the details.

In class we were always taught that everything was planned. True authors, we were told, sketch out their books so the plot and the details are exposed before the writing begins.

Christine Lee posted a letter by Alan Rickman to JK Rowling about Severus Snape, his Harry Potter character.

Paraphrasing Rickman, he mentioned it didn’t seem so long ago that Rowling told him there was more to Snape than an unchanging costume. I found that fascinating.

Obviously, Rowling knew from the moment she put pen to paper the end result of her series and all those moments from Book 1 was planned out before she got to Book 7.

And Meyer is the same way. Thank you, Meyer, for letting me get into your brain to see how a real author works.

11 comments:

Mama Up! said...

I think short stories can meander and be discovered as you go along... I tried writing a book length work without an outline once and while I finished, it wasn't much of a book!

Jade said...

Wow can you imagine having a whole story planned out - 7 books worth, that is incredible. I could do with starting to plan a whole blog post!

Christina Lee said...

Hi there (surprised about the link-yay)!! I really enjoyed The Host and I agree absolutely!!

Nicole said...

Wait...a certain towel? Now I'm really curious.

Unknown said...

I liked the Host. Not as much as the Twilight series but it was pretty good. I think they are going to make a movie of it, but I think that'll be hokey. Anyway, all the extras are great, aren't they? I loved reading all the outtakes. I'd have to agree with a previous commentor: I can't even plan out a blog post, I'd never be able to plan a whole book! (not that I'm a writer anyway)
So back to the towel. I want to hear this story!

Julia said...

The host is a wonderful book once you get past the first few chapters it really pulls you in. I would even go as far as saying The Host has been my top favorite for a couple of years now, it has yet to be surpassed for me. She has a genius way of story telling that is so talented. I hope you enjoy the book.

Also, I wanted to say thanks for stopping by Everyday Mom Ideas and leaving your lovely comment.

Heather said...

I have to agree with everyone else and say it is hard enough for me to plan a blog post let alone a book.

I will have to check out her website.

Anonymous said...

I know authors who do not outline but let the story unfold and when in revision do a rough outline to make sure all threads are tied together. I believe the writing process is very personal but what is important that the author discover his or her own groove! Meyer and Rowling found that through plotting but King just let the words flow--all best selling authors. I am just glad they write!

Kim said...

I saw (or did I read?) an interview with Cormac McCarthy about how when he sat down to write The Road, the book practically wrote itself—flowed out. After initially coming up with the idea for the story, he never wrote but merely thought about it (literally, for YEARS), working the details out in his mind, mostly subconsciously.

Marilyn (A Lot of Loves) said...

I've owned the Host since it was first out, and I have yet to read it. I will! One day.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Is it really that great? I'll have to check it out. I must say, I LOOOOOOVED the twilight series, but I couldn't get into the Host.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com