Friday, May 21, 2010

Bring on the Long Weekend


While our neighbours to the south have a long weekend next Monday – thanks to Memorial Day – most Canadians are kicking off summer this weekend with our own long weekend – Victoria Day.

As Canada is still part of the British commonwealth, most provinces celebrate Queen Victoria’s birthday on what is known as the May 2-4, the unofficial start of summer complete with treks to the cottage, barbecues and fireworks.

As I live in cottage country, at 2:30 p.m. I will make the hour commute to my home, pick up my son, go shopping and relax for three days.

Bring on the long weekend.

Well, That Was A Mistake
At my house, whenever you had a stomachache, my mom suggested you have mint to help.

Just so everyone knows, eating most of a Terry’s mint-flavoured chocolate ‘orange’ in one sitting does the exact opposite – it really hurts your stomach.

Ice Cream Time
Ice cream is not my favourite snack. I would rather have a brownie or a home-baked cookie of some sort.

Maybe because it’s the long weekend and the start of summer or maybe because it’s hot, sunny and beautiful out there, but I could really go for a scoop of chocolate ice cream – or raspberry sorbet – in a cone.

Thank You Weather Gods
Thank you weather gods, for giving us sunshine or only a bit of rain this Victoria Day long weekend.

I heard on the radio this morning we wind chill of -3 C last year.

7 comments:

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

Happy Long Weekend to you!!! But I keep telling you, ice cream is good at any second of any moment of any day! lol

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Viva Victoria Day!!! Thanks for you for your kind thoughts for GG. She's doing better today!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

Jen West said...

Hi, I saw you visited me once, from the sanitorium. I just thought I would take a peek at you.

I love the picture! Instant smile. Now I am contemplating breakfast... ice-cream or the oatmeal that is already waiting.

Some days, tough choices start earlier than others!

And, happy Victoria Day!

Debbie said...

Ice cream is something I do not have portion control over! I have to just stay away from it.

McVal said...

I think your mom might have meant a peppermint... But I can't imagine getting sick off ice cream! No matter WHAT flavor!

Jamie said...

Long weekends and ice cream - the two things (besides my babies of course) that make life worth living. You nailed it sister!

Crystal Escobar said...

ooh, that ice cream cone looks yummy. I actually LOVE ice cream as a snack :) but even better with big ol brownie chunks in it!