Thursday, April 29, 2010

What’s The Point of Horse Farms?


Can someone please tell me what is the point of horse farms?

The areas surrounding Toronto are filled with horse farms. Several years ago, the provincial government of the day suggested taxing horse farms.

Living in York Region, my newspaper was filled with stories from irate horse farm owners who said their business would be destroyed if they didn’t get the same tax breaks as farmers raising cattle and other livestock and those who had crops.

So what is the point of a horse farm?

What do horses do other than give pleasure to those who own them?

I can understand horse farms that are breeding horses for racing. To me, that is a legitimate farm. But I can’t image all those horse farms I pass are all breeding horses for Breeder’s Cup or the Kentucky Derby.

I don’t believe there is a large market for eating horsemeat in Canada so unless horse farmers are shipping their animals to countries that enjoy the taste of horse, what is the point?

Does anyone know?

6 comments:

Joey Lynn Resciniti said...

If I was a billionaire I would own a horse farm because I think they're pretty. It's really something for people who love horses and doesn't serve much of a purpose.

Jessica said...

I dont know but I love to drive by and watch them! They are so pretty!

Megan (Best of Fates) said...

Hmm... I have absolutely no knowledge of said subject, so like I do in most situations, I'll now completely make stuff up.
Point of Horse Farm:
1)Glue factory - is that a real thing or just something told to kids?
2)To produce horses for children's birthday party rides.
3)In case we ever need to invade Canada, and decide to go old school with our ground forces.

Unknown said...

Oh my God, I am laughing so hard at this post and especially the last comments by Megan!! Knowing our armed forces and subsequent budgeting for that, we would need horses!! Too funny! I guess it's pure pleasure. The point is, there is no point.

Ms. Understood said...

Stopping by from SITS. Horse farms? I guess I never considered it. I think if there was a serious reason for them, the world would know so I'm gonna go with no real reason.

Cheryl said...

Horse farms are by and large ligitimate enterprises. Have you any idea how many race tracks there are in North America alone? A horse doesn't have to be the next Secretariat to race. Most tracks have 10 races on the card with 6 to 20 entrants in each race. That's a lot of horses multiplied by all of the thoroughbred and trotters/pacers tracks. Don't forget about police horses, kid's party horses, and plain old trail horses.