Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Better Than Paris

I have been reading a number of blogs recently about visiting what is considered by some to be the romance capital of the world – Paris, France.

I have been to Paris. It was a nice city. I have been told we didn’t spend enough time in it, just one busy day that saw us go on a boat tour, tour Notre Dame and Sacre-Couer (I would recommend you poke around the back and not just stay at the front), visit the shops and restaurants along Champs-Elysees and more.

Saying that, Paris was not my favourite part of France, and those who are planning a tour to the small country would be mistaken not to spend a few days at Mont St. Michel.

Located in Normandy, France, Mont St. Michel is a fantastic medieval fortress that sits on a cliff and is an island twice a year.

Mont St. Michel is every fantasy book I have read come to life. There are tunnels and pathways, narrow streets (there are no cars allowed on the island), restaurants and shops, the abbey and more.

We stayed on the island for several days and I never tired of walking around and looking at the views. When the island is not surrounded by water, you can walk to the neighbouring islands, one of which was covered by screaming seagulls.

If you like history and awe-inspiring views, you must go to Mont St. Michel.

5 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

I'm putting it on my list for sure! Thanks for the tip.

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's for Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

The Bama Gardener said...

OOO! I want to go! If I ever get a chance...I will go!

Danielle said...

That sounds like a great place!! I bet it is so peaceful without any cars.

Betty said...

Oh, what a stress free life.

Unknown said...

This is a great post, as I am moving to france later this year I will bookmark this and definately visit this place at some point...
we are moving just nr Limoges..

So exciting xx