Thursday, January 20, 2011

How Do You Explain?

Last week, Toronto police Sgt. Ryan Russell was killed while in the line of duty.

Everyone’s death makes me sad as I think about the loss of life and hope the person who died did so instantly, without suffering or the realization that death was coming.

And then I feel awful for the person’s family. And in the case of Russell, my sadness extends particularly to his wife and their two-year-old son.

According to media reports, the little boy turned to his mother at his father’s funeral and asked ‘Where is Daddy?’

What do you say to a two-year-old about that? Does a child at that age know what death means? How can you ensure he knows Daddy didn’t leave him on purpose, that what his Daddy wanted to do most was come home, scoop up his little guy and hold him tightly? How can you make a little boy who is missing his Daddy understand his Daddy loves him and he wasn’t abandoned.

I have found since becoming a mom myself that I feel this type of pain more acutely.

My condolences to the Russell family

7 comments:

Mama Up! said...

Funny, this is precisely what I dreamed about last night - my husband dying and my toddler asking where he was. That's when I lost it in the dream and I woke up crying. I can't even BEGIN to imagine how I would answer her in real life...

Unknown said...

I'm so sad for his family as well - any family that has to go through that, regardless of media attention. I feel the same way too, since becoming a mother. Parenthood really does change you in ways you never even thought it would, eh?

Nicole said...

So very tragic.

MommyToTwoBoys said...

That is just heart breaking. I am going to go hug everyone in my family. Even though they are asleep. My heart just breaks for that little boy. He just doesn't understand.

Lady Mama said...

Like you I find this kind of thing especially heartbreaking since becoming a parent. To the point where I sometimes even avoid the news. So sad.

Jenn Erickson said...

So sad. My heart definitely grieves for that little boy and his family.

Bonnie said...

My area has lost 5 officers in the past year. The funeral for 2 of the officers was today. The wife of one of the officers called into a local radio station yesterday to talk about losing her husband, their sons losing their father, and how her faith in God is getting her through it. It just broke my heart. Then today at the funeral (it was televised), the officer's K-9 partner was barking continuously. He knew something was wrong. I have to admit, I cried. I don't think I could ever be a cop's wife. I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.