Friday, September 17, 2010

Interesting Interviews and Terry Fox


Yesterday I was commenting on how I am not going to be a celebrity groupie.
However, there are a number of people I would love to interview professionally including:

The Royal family.
I would love to chat with any one of them but particularly Queen Elizabeth, princes William and Harry, Sarah Ferguson and Prince Andrew.

The Barenaked Ladies.
I love their music. I think the members are funny, down to earth and intelligent. What I love most about them is it doesn’t appear success has gone to their heads. One of the members lives near my friend in Bloor West Village. That’s the great thing about Canadian celebrities, and perhaps Canadians themselves, you can go about your life without too much of a hassle.

Jean Little
I spent my pre-teen years reading everything this Canadian children’s author wrote. I also have her biography, which shows this writer with her seeing-eye dog.

Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie
This couple just seems interesting. I think I am most curious about what their lives are like outside of Hollywood.

And the worst interview …

I would not want to interview Robin Williams. I think he would be an awful interview, an interesting person, but a terrible interviewee. I would never know if he was serious, and how do you capture that animation in print? I realized I would hate to interview him after watching him talk about the movie Jumanji. Yikes.

And speaking of celebrities, Sunday marks the 30th anniversary of the Terry Fox Run.
Terry Fox, who had his leg amputated above the knee because of bone cancer, became a Canadian household name when he began his Marathon of Hope, a coast-to-coast run beginning in St. John’s, Newfoundland, on April 12, 1980, to raise awareness and money – $1 from every person in the country – for cancer research.
He ran almost a marathon a day in all types of weather on a prosthetic leg stopping in communities across the country.
Terry Fox was forced to stop his journey just outside Thunder Bay, Ont., Sept. 1, 1980, because cancer made its return. He died June 28, 1981.
But while Terry Fox was in hospital, a man got in touch with him to tell Terry he was going to continue Terry’s journey by hosting an annual run in his honour. Terry Fox agreed but said the run shouldn’t have winners or losers and there was no minimum donation people could make.
Today, Terry Fox runs hold the same values, offering community-based events where people ride, walk, wheel or blade to raise money for cancer research.
Now there was a celebrity worth knowing.

Photo from terryfox.org

2 comments:

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Robin Williams is actually very shy and only "on" when the camera is running...I just know a couple of who know him. Funny though


Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma What's For Dinner
www.mawhats4dinner.com

AiringMyLaundry said...

I wouldn't mind meeting the royal family either. I bet they could get me into places the public couldn't go to on Henry VIII stuff.