Thursday, April 1, 2010

This Blog is Carbon Neutral

carbon neutral coupon with kaufDA.de

This, That and The Other Thing is now carbon neutral.

I found this feature at Kaffeine Addict while scrolling through the bloggers who have left comments at SITS.

Kaffeine Addict’s headline – Make you blog carbon neutral! For free! – caught my attention. I wasn’t sure what it was about so I read the Kaffeine Addict’s post and went over to the linked site – www.kaufda.de/umwelt/carbon-neutral/

According to that website, the initiative started in Germany by the Make it Green program, with a goal of reducing carbon dioxide emissions.

The program plants a tree for every blogger who signs up her blog, neutralizing that blog’s carbon footprint for the next 50 years.

There are a few things you have to do including planting the button on your blog and emailing your link to CO2-neutral@kaufd.de

It’s a neat idea.

I am posting a story next week at insidetoronto.com written by my freelancer, Maria Tzavaras, about a program in Ontario called the Ontario Heritage Tree Alliance (OHTA).

According to OHTA, when you cut down an old or heritage tree, you not only loosing a tree that has seen a community’s history, but the potential to reduce more of a carbon footprint.

It’s the leaf count on a tree that matters. A small tree may have 50 leaves, while a large tree has 50,000.

So while I feel great my blog now has a tree in its name, there is much we still need to do to preserve this wonderful world for our children.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you for listing me and for joining...It's a great idea they are doing and maybe a small thing but we have to start somewhere if we are going to save this planet

now following too !! xxx

Stephanie said...

this is an excellent entry and very appropriate for the up coming earth day on April 22th. it is alway great to learn about new and simple ways to help our planet and our children.

Christina Lee said...

this is the second time I am reading this. Who would've thunk it?

MommieDaze said...

I'm always so sad when I see an old tree get cute down. They're so beautiful, and I always think of how long it will take for new one to grow in it's place.