Friday, May 6, 2011

Is It Wrong to be Happy When I Should Be Sad?



The other morning as we were getting into the car, I heard the haunting sound of the loon as it flew over our house.

The loon, the beautiful black and white bird that graces the face of our loonie, a $1 coin, is a symbol of Canada’s north.


The loon is usually found in the lakes of Muskoka or Algonquin Park, three to eight hours away from our house.

For the last couple of years, I have heard the cry of the loon on Lake Simcoe and have been lucky enough to see it swim by us.

While the seeing – and hearing – the loon bring brings me joy and happiness, I am also sad. Why is the loon traveling so far south? Have we destroyed our majestic north and the birds now have come here? What can we do to ensure this wonderful creature thrives in this country?

And as I am so pathetic, I do not know how to get a YouTube video here. Instead, I am attaching a link that will direct you to a YouTube video so you can hear the sound of a loon yourself: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ENNzjy8QjU

6 comments:

CoconutPalmDesigns said...

I agree that it would be wonderful to see a Loon close up but it is worrisome that they are so far south.

Happy Mother's Day when it comes!

Cheers :-)
- CoconutPalmDesigns

Christina Lee said...

So pretty! Happy Mother's Day!

Nicole said...

I have never seen a loon - they certainly don't come around here. Canada Geese, now that's a whole other thing!

Marilyn (A Lot of Loves) said...

I grew up in Northern BC where there were a lot of loons. I actually perfected a loon call when I was young and I could call them to follow our canoe as we paddled around the lake. I do love them. I doubt I could do the call now though. That was when I was a kid and had a nice high-pitched voice.

Anonymous said...

Happy Mother's Day Lisa. I haven't heard Loon's for years, and didn't realize they were flying so far south. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

AiringMyLaundry said...

I like the name loonie for a coin.

Happy Mother's Day!